Around the Country on a 350

I know it kind of sounds like a hell ride, but I want to take my time, break down and live this trip. Here is what I have been thinking...


March 14th, 0 Miles

This conversation came to focus on interstates and what they have done for this country, aka Dwight D. Eisenhower’s National System of Interstate and Defense Highways. The original idea behind the interstate system was to provide quick transportation for military vehicles during a foreign invasion. I don’t seem to remember the last invasion. The relief of the interstate was to save time. It was too difficult to travel across the county on highways that come through town. To travel across Indiana on US 40 it takes 3 hours and 30 min. To take I-70 it cuts out an hour. If you had no intention of stopping I could see that extra hour to seem like an eternity. But why travel when you only plan to stop at your destination.

Charles Kuralt in “On the Road” said "Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything." So my goal is… the country, my 350, and no interstates.


March 23rd, 0 Miles

I am starting to bring the dream into focus, thinking about a general route, when will it be cold and in what area? Money and time have not crossed my mind and hopefully they never will. I want to see things from a certain perspective, I do not know what it is yet but I do not want to travel with a budget, route or time limit. This is when you really engulf yourself in places.

What does the country have to offer, who will I meet, what message will I return with…? Millions of questions are racing through my mind. The world has become crowded with multiple beliefs about what to wear, who to be and what to buy. Soon this can drive a person mad. It only took me 24 years and I felt like I needed to spend some time not listening what the average consumer needs or what the latest trend is. It is time to break the mold and define my generation and realize what it means to me. I have learned that life is about experiences and this is the best way to live life. And all I know is what I want to accomplish, a trip of a life time, so here comes my moment… my Trek of Enlightenment.



0 comments: