XS 750 Rebuild for the 100th time


I think I am now the expert of triple motors across the world. Maybe not expert and maybe not around the world, but I sure do know a shit ton about this engine.



It is simple in its design, yet deceptive in its intricacy. It has more parts than the Great Wall has bricks. Thrust washers, oil drains, nuts in undisclosed locations and groments that are now harder than washers. But as I have said in previous posts, I have learned a lot.

This tear down was because of a loud knock I heard and could not diagnose externally. I did all the normal listening, the cam chain, spark plug interference (would be detrimental to the piston) or right side crankshaft to rear HV chain. The HV chain was rubbing the oil dip stick and I grinded the case out of the way. The sound did not go away. As soon as I removed the cylinder walls and pulled on the center piston the problem was discovered. The piston shaft was loose and was moving up and down on the crankshaft. After splitting the case I removed the crankshaft and removed the piston shaft and the piston shaft had rubbed the crankshaft lobe to the shape of an egg and a lot smaller. I don't know what caused it but it only took $50 to fix it. Cycle Re Cycle had a new crankshaft. Now its time to make the exchange...



The only thing I needed to take note was the tolerances for the crank bearings, so I used the fantastic PlastiGage a great little invention. It works and off to the rebuild, making sure to use gear oil in assembly, VERY IMPORTANT! This is what could have been a problem in the past. The engine needs lube before the oil is distributed in the engine naturally. Think about how hard it is to get it in when she's not ready, then x by 100 speed and power. That could cause some damage!!! Watch me get artsy...



I will get back with more...

0 comments: