The Title Wars from Hell...

So the BMV is clueless...they do not seem to know much about much. Everything about legalities in any state is so diluted it makes it difficult for anyone to understand. After 4 trips to 4 different places, I still did not get a clear grasp on what to do to title salvaged motorcycles.

The BMVs website lists everything needed for just about anything you need from them. But its vage and wrong, as I found out at the BMV. But the lady at the counter had no idea exactly what I needed. New titles, title transfer, salvage title or lost title, they were all the same to her...she has as lot and confused at the website. She must have wrote the site.

So I discovered I needed a CofO, certificate of origin from the place I bought it....yeah right. It is a furniture/antique/buy my shit store. So I went back and of course they have no idea. All I know is what auction they bought it from. If somehow I get the auction place a CofO or auction papers I could take that back to the BMV to get a title.

Marsh Auction is the place and of course it just looks like an abandoned garage. The door is unlocked though. There is a lady and her dog sitting behind a shitty desk. She has no clue what I'm talking about..."Here, call the guy who owns the place" she says. And of course he keeps records as much as the Pope shits in the woods.

Next step is to have an officer fill out an affidavit to prove the VIN number correct. Then I have to file out and send in a form to the BMV to find title history, then send a letter to the previous owner. The last time those bikes were even plated was in 1985. Im fucked....

2 comments:

Joe C June 10, 2009  

I'm diggin' the R5 project, and wish the best of luck. For the title, have you looked into using a title service like Broadway Title or ITS? I've never done it, so don't know if Indiana makes it harder to do.

Patrick June 20, 2009  

I went through International Title Service (based in Las Vegas) when I had a 1974 CB360 with no title. It seemed a bit sketchy at first since I live in Kentucky. I ended up getting official paperwork from Alabama and everything went smoothly... until inspection by the sheriff at the County Clerk who realized I got the VIN number wrong by one digit.